Recently I've been experimenting in Tableau with dashboard sizes for the ipad. I prefer to set it up landscape viewing and found the optimal size is 1020 x 610 pixels, this more or less seems the perfect size to fill the full screen and remove the need for scrolling.
On many occasions I have found Tableau data extracts are slow to refresh on the Tableau Server when pulling from SQL (and I’m sure this happens with all data connections). I always used to put this down to the slow execution of the query, which could definitely be a cause as if it’s slow to [...]
My current employer is still using Tableau Server 6.1 – or 6.1.6 to be precise. I’ve been trying to work out how the extracts work when pulling from a SQL Server so the same extract can be shared by multiple dashboards. The reason for this is that some of my extracts take a long time [...]
Perhaps the title of this post is a little extreme but I have spent some time trying to speed up the refreshing of my Tableau extracts recently and began to use incremental extract refreshes where I thought it was appropriate - for example with order data just adding yesterdays orders each day. On closer inspection [...]
If using Tableau Server it's possible to pass parameters to filter your dashboard via the URL. It's very straightforward and detailed in this post on the Tableau Forums. Basically just get the URL to access the dashboard on the server, add a ? at the end, which is how parameters are entered in a URL. [...]
I’ve just run into a problem when publishing a workbook on to the server where it gives me the error: ‘Invalid field formula due to limitations in the data source’ The workbook worked perfectly while being viewed in tableau but failed on publication to the server. It turns out this is due to hidden and [...]
I have noticed that when publishing to Tableau server, dependent on what you publish, the view name can change. If you publish a worksheet on to the server the view name becomes the same as the sheet title and not the sheet name. If you publish a dashboard the view name remains the same as [...]
In a previous post about dashboard level filtering in Tableau I used an example of creating a month parameter to act as the filter. For this post to make sense please reference the previous post at the link. The parameter worked perfectly in production, in the Tableau software, but when published on the server for [...]