How to deliver client insights to an asset manager
The Head of Client Experience at a large European asset manager was heavily involved in changing the culture from being product focused to becoming client focused.
They were very keen to improve the client experience, seeing it as a key competitive differentiator.
Becoming more client-centric means better understanding of the clients; data and analytics are the key to better understanding your clients.
They asked us to deliver Client Insights across the business; providing different parts of the business with a larger picture of their individual clients.
Use data and analytics to build Client Insights
The asset manager had a lot of data, both internal and external.
They had data from their CRM (Salesforce), data from finance, data from their custodians, data from the product performance team, data from the portfolio management system, data from external fund data providers, data from external market data providers…but it was little used and inconsistently used.
How we delivered Client Insights
The project had multiple phases. Our initial engagement was a scoping phase.
The first task was to interview over 100 different stakeholders across the business – from Sales, Marketing, Account Managers, Investment Managers, Finance, Operations, etc – to understand what information would help them better understand their clients.
The next step was to prioritise efforts on the data already available.
Compiling this information and tracking back to data sources we created a delivery plan.
We were retained to deliver the plan and build the product.
With the project also serving as a test case for their embryonic data lake, we engaged with IT to source many different data sources, both internal and external.
Client Insight dashboards were hosted on a Tableau Server and embedded within Salesforce. With the majority of business users making daily use of Salesforce, it was a better user experience to keep users within that tool, hence the decision to embed with Salesforce.
The benefits to the asset manager of Client Insights were clear
Introducing Client Insights meant a more efficient and focused workforce, better opportunity to defend assets and more chance to win new business.
- Much time was saved by users no longer having to spend their time hunting to get important client numbers
- Opportunities to defend assets were presented, immediately impacting the bottom line
- Better understanding of client engagement presented opportunities for new business
What we delivered and how it helped
The main deliverable was a Client Snapshot, containing KPIs about a client, including financial numbers, product performance, client engagement, an index human resources provided to that client, etc.
Answering some key asset management business questions became far more straightforward, questions such as:
- What products is my client invested in and what is the performance?
- Am I over / under-serving my clients based on their AUM, tiering and likely future opportunities?
- How does my clients product performance compare with comparative products; do I need to defend my assets?
- When are my clients due to pay their dividends so I expect to lose assets from my money market products?
- Are my clients invested in badly under-performing products; should I contact the client and defend those assets?
- Based on what we know about the client, what is their risk profile and does it match with their investments?
Are you an Asset Manager interested in using data to improve your Client Experience?
Producing a world class delivery is fundamental to what we do. If you’d like to know more about what we do why not contact us?